May 29, 2012

Research Process

To conduct this research I have been going to various Archives. A few weeks back, I was at Ronald Feldman Gallery in Soho, looking through their artist archives of Mierle Ukeles. Last week, I was at NYU's Fales Archives researching the AIR gallery and Creative Time.

I will also be having conversations with these various women artists to gain better insight into their process.
Here are some of the artists I am looking at:

Judith F. Baca
Eleanor Antin
Carolina Caycedo
Sandra de la Loza
Lynn Hershman Leeson
Lily Yeh
Zoe Strauss
Sharon Hayes
Mierle Ukeles
Guerrilla Girls
Emily Roysdon / LTTR
Janine Antoni
Ginger Brooks Takahashi- Co-founder of LTTR
Carolee Schneemann
Swoon 
Peggy Diggs 
Suzanne Lacy
Katerina Seda
Kim Holleman   
Candy Chang
Ariana Jacob 


There are many more I could add to this list which has made this research somewhat difficult. Many of these women have gotten back to me and are allowing me to interview them for the project. I hope to create an audio component to the project that will be passed between these artists. In that sense, I can hopefully spread the same inspiration that they gave me to others. 

 I have also been reading a lot, from articles, to press releases, to books, I have my hands full. 
Some of the books I am reading are Social Works, The One and The Many, Glass Swan... 

Great publications that I am looking at are Public Art Review, Art in America, Artforum, and Public Art Dialogue. 

Ok I guess I shouldn't give too much away...


5 comments:

  1. Yes the list can go on and on, and get pretty overwhelming. For example why not Martha Rosler, Mary Kelly, May Stevens, Karen Finley, Coco Fosco, Jenny Holzer, etcetera?

    So it becomes a matter of what type of social practice you are really interested in, or is it a matter of cataloguing various feminist practices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing to read for your questionnaire. Many of the artists you have chosen to interview, vision of the world was framed by these declarations in 1962.

    This is the 50th anniversary of the creation of the Port Huron Statement
    the founding document for SDS (Students for a Democratic Society) :

    http://www.h-net.org/~hst306/documents/huron.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily Yeh was here in Ithaca last year at the Bioneers conference. See link below.
    During her time it Ithaca, she did a workshop on Cornell University campus, and lectured at Ithaca High School, both of which I attended.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJkbwFllWY

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe workshop by Lily Yeh I was involved with:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKfMM0Kt9wU

    ReplyDelete
  5. on last link:

    http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Oct11/YehCover.html

    ReplyDelete