November 19, 2012

"When we see beauty we see hope"- Lily Yeh

Genocide Memorial Proposal- Lily Yeh


I met with Lily in a Cosi near Rittenhouse square on a cold Friday morning. We sat at a table near the floor to ceiling windows and began to speak about my expectations. Lily said that she might not be able to answer some of the questions and I explained that it was ok, they were just there for guidance if she did not naturally bring up things I wanted to touch on.

We began, as I always do with talking about where she grew up and her transition into public artwork. The whole time we were speaking, I kept seeing these beautiful yellow flowers in my head, made out of mosaics. The conversation was magical and inspiring. Lily's passion is infectious and it is easy to see why her art appears the way it does. For her, it all comes down to a level of authenticity. She needs to be true to herself and out of that comes the rest. She describes her work as coming out organically. Building a place for healing in Rwanda was what needed to be done. We spoke about the artist as a person who can open up possibilities. Through beauty we can create space, healing, and dialogue. She told me it comes from organizing yourself, and improving yourself-- taking the freedom to explore who you are and what that means through these different contexts.

For her, it is about the desire to solve social problems. The art comes out of listening. When I asked her about the significance of being a female and creating this work, she spoke to me about feminine energy. That the world needs women artists, that we bring the emotional, physical, mental care as well as the intuitive nature to the space.

After speaking with Lily, I was overcome with this sense of joy and possibility. Through talking with her, I could sense the effects that artwork can have transforming a blighted area, or a group that is dealing with immense pain. Her methods of taking what is broken and putting it back together through mosaics, is more than poetic, it is moving. She is a wonderful role model to have and I feel honored to have been able to absorb her kindness and wisdom.

Here is the group that Lily founded called Barefoot Artists. I came across Lily's work through learning about the Village of Arts and Humanities in North Philadelphia. Check out the websites, and also watch the trailers for Lily's new documentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment