October 24, 2012

Organization/Reading

The first dinner party for young women activist artists is this Sunday! As the day approaches I am going a bit crazy trying to finalize all my plans and make sure confirm "reservations."

I can't wait to get this community together. It is already looking like an amazing group of women.

Right now I am reading a few books:

Frances Stark- I suggest that you go read her as soon as you can. One of my professors gave me an excerpt form the "Architect and the Housewife" then one of my good friends lent me his copy of the book "This could become a gimick [sic] or an honest articulation of the workings of the mind."She has a way of explaining herself so that you can understand exactly where she is coming from. Each piece of writing is candid, stark and authentic.

I am also reading Claire Bishop's Installation Art book- (at the section about Activated Spectatorship)
Great book for learning about historical and contemporary installation art practices.  

Last but not least, I am reading "Jane {a murder}." I'm not quite sure what I would call this book, but for now it is a collection of poems and excerpts, gathered and (some) written by  Maggie Nelson. The book is about Jane, Maggie's aunt who has been murdered just a few years before Maggie was even born. Through beautiful and powerful prose, Maggie takes us on a journey through Jane's life and her untimely death.







No comments:

Post a Comment